Chronic Pain ManagementTreatments
If you’ve been suffering as a result of a neck or back-related condition, you may be looking for a way to manage your chronic pain.
The goal of pain management isn’t only to control pain, but also to regain range of motion and the ability to go on about your daily activities comfortably and provide your body more time to heal itself to avoid surgery. At Back Pain Centers of America, we understand how important it is for you to recover your active lifestyle. Call us today at 1.844.890.7439 and get matched with a spine specialist who can provide the personalized care you need!
Chronic pain management may include a combination of any of the following non-surgical treatments (consult your doctor to find out which is best for you):
- Medications – These can include over-the-counter and prescription pain relievers, muscle relaxants and antidepressants and anticonvulsants for nerve pain.
- Physical therapy and exercise – A physical therapist can teach you different exercises to aid in pain management, such as stretches and strengthening exercises.
- Electrotherapy – Also known as transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS), this type of pain management therapy is often used for managing back pain using a low-voltage electric stimulation.
- Heating and cooling – Applying hot and cold packs is an effective way to manage pain by reducing inflammation and relaxing stiff muscles.
- Relaxation techniques – Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MSBR) techniques can be useful tools in pain management. MSBR includes deep breathing, relaxing the body and focusing the mind.
- Injections – Steroids or anesthetics are injected directly into the affected area for the temporary relief of moderate to severe pain.
- PRP or Regenerative Medicine – Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) sourced from your own blood, or cells obtained from your bone marrow can be used to help the body heal itself.
Not all conditions may be alleviated through pain management measures, so back surgery may be the best option when non-invasive pain management therapy doesn’t provide sufficient relief of your symptoms.
If surgery is recommended, there are several different minimally invasive surgical procedures available for back pain management. These innovative procedures use cutting-edge technology to treat a variety of spinal conditions and chronic pain and usually lead to quicker recovery times and fewer risks than traditional open surgery. Most are performed on an outpatient basis so that you can go home the same day. These include:
- Minimally invasive spine surgery – These surgical procedures are used to treat various spinal disorders and chronic pain while minimizing or avoiding injury to surrounding tissues. A retractable tube is inserted through a tiny incision. The surgeon is able to work on a single level of the spine via the tube using a camera to visually see what needs to be done.
- Laser Spine Surgery – Sometimes used in conjunction with a minimally-invasive surgery, a laser is inserted into the tube to cauterize bleeding, or to break up or remove scar tissue.
Benefits of Pain Management
Chronic pain can have a negative effect on every aspect of your life, including a significant impact on your physical and emotional well-being. Working with a team of pain management professionals and using a combination of techniques serves several purposes, such as:
- Helping to identify the source of your pain
- The opportunity to find pain relief without surgery
- Helping to determine whether or not your condition needs to be treated surgically
A pain management program can also be used following surgery to assist with rehabilitation.
The benefits of pain management therapy include:
- Pain relief allowing the body more time to heal itself
- Improved flexibility and motion
- Enabling reduced or normal daily activities which would otherwise be challenging or impossible
Pain management can be used to treat many types of pain caused by various conditions, some of which include pain, stiffness and other symptoms caused by:
- Herniated disks
- Degenerative disc disorder
- Pinched nerves
- Spinal stenosis
- Facet joint syndrome
You don’t need to resign yourself to a life of pain. With pain management therapies geared towards your needs, Back Pain Centers of America can help.
Call us now at 1.844.890.7439. It’s a simple call that could change your life forever.
Did you know?
over 87 million people suffer
from back pain
- Anterior Cervical Discectomy Fusion
- Bone Fragment Removal
- Cervical Disc Replacement
- Cervical Spine Surgery
- Decompression Pars Defect
- Exploration of Spinal Fusion
- Facet Thermal Ablation (Rhizolysis)
- Laser Spine Surgery
- Laminectomy & Laminotomy
- Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion
- Lumbar Spine Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Decompression Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Stabilization
- Non-Surgical Procedures
- Pain Management
- Posterior Cervical Fusion
- Resection of Osteophytes
- SI Joint Fusion
- Spinal Hardware Removal
- Surgical Procedures
- Regenerative Medicine
- Thoracic Spine Surgery
- Transforaminal Lumbar Interbody Fusion
FREE E-BOOK to Support Your Journey